REITs Support Communities During the COVID-19 Pandemic
REITs statewide have implemented numerous initiatives to help support communities, small businesses and individuals affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Among these community-based programs to help Hawaii with its recovery include the following:
- Donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to local nonprofits to feed the hungry, provide medical care, and prevent homelessness.
- Providing thousands of meals to help feed kupuna, homebound residents, families in need, and the homeless.
- Donating a variety of essential food supplies, including fresh produce, dairy, and eggs for distribution by the Foodbank.
- Giving personal protective equipment, gloves, masks, hand sanitizers, and cleaning supplies to nonprofit community organizations to help prevent the spread of infection.
- Deferring, abating, and reducing rent payments for tenants whose business operations have been most impacted, particularly restaurants and retail outlets.
- Continuing to pay staff members who have been idled during mandated shutdowns.
- Supporting charitable causes and nonprofits in fulfilling community needs by providing food, supplies, and technical expertise.
- Offering space at properties and in parking lots to serve as COVID-19 drive-thru testing sites.
- Donating to the non-profit programs to vaccinate at-risk ethnic populations and communities across the state.
Check out some of the highlights below!